2019 Freshman Research Boot Camp

Every year our research boot camp gets better. (See my 2018 post about the collaborative project between the English teachers, World History teachers and the librarian - me!)

We changed a few things this year:
1. We eliminated hanged the written paper. The goal of this project is to introduce freshman students to the research skills and tools they need to be successful in high school.  students could focus their efforts on the research and teachers could assess students on the research and citation skills. on assessing the research skills, paraphrasing. Rubrics were adapted to reflect this change (see below). 

2. We specified the requirements for each level by color coding them as seen below. We decided to provide level 3 students with their sources but they would still need to access through the LibGuide and create citation themselves. I created two LibGuides for this project based on level so there was no confusion. 

3. We limited the choices of revolutions based on levels. They too are color coded. I do not know if we will keep Scientific Revolution as a level 3 choice. It is my opinion that students may struggle with the materials that are available. 

At the end of the project, I will use a Google Form to assess students comfort using the tools and to provide feedback on the entire process (student suggestions and honest feedback can be the best!). This is the 2018 version - I use with my SMART goal. I will update this blog post when I have created the 2019 version. 

So far I have been observed on Day 2 - Here is the Formal Lesson Plan.
I will update next week with the second observation (I really wanted admin to see what a great project this is so I requested observations).


***DOCUMENT 1: MY LESSON PLAN***
Note: I am Kathleen so these are taught by me in library, sometimes with doubled or tripled up classes. Subject area teachers are there to circulate and help.




**DOCUMENT 2: PROMPT STUDENTS RECEIVE**



**DOCUMENT 3: RUBRICS**

Comments