Media Literacy Week 2019

Updated 10/22/19

It is Media Literacy Week next week and I am always trying to find new ways to reach kids and impart media literacy knowledge. This year, I am making short videos (tried to keep to 1-2 minutes) with quick "Did you know?" information.

My goal is to keep it positive! I did not want to tell students what NOT to do (hail Julie Nilsson Smith @julnilsmith!!). I want students to know why they should be paying close attention and thinking critically about the media they use and consume. They are not meant to be comprehensive, I simply want to open up conversations in the classrooms so media literacy can start becoming part of the school culture. I also wanted to teachers to see and understand how much I know about media literacy so I can help them find ways to embed media literacy in to their current curriculums.

I created the videos using WeVideo, we have a limited school subscription and I LOVE it so much!  My hope is to have students create these informational videos in the future, all part of the plan for our new Digital Media Club.

I have been sharing these videos daily on my Twitter (@kcurriesmith) and Instagram (@ColonelsLibrary) and they are being shared as part of the school's morning announcements. 










Comments

  1. Kathleen, these are great! Will definitely be sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these, looking forward to sharing with my students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much. These a very good. Relevant, short, and to the point.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment