My Word of the (School) Year: CALM

Super Soul Sunday is one of my favorite shows. It makes me a better person. Earlier this year Melinda Gates was on discussing her book Moment if Lift. Oprah asked her about choosing a “word of the year” and Melinda explained how instead of New Year’s resolutions, she chooses a word that “encapsulates my aspirations for the 12 months ahead.”  I have been thinking about that conversation and knew it was something I wanted to adopt as a family. 

A new school year starts next week. What better way than to start the year with a word to remind me of my aspirations? My son struggles with anxiety going to school so I wanted to do this together. 

We have chosen the word CALM for our school year ahead. My son knows that means using the coping skills he has been learning. For me, CALM means remaining in the moment and not letting my “to do” lists at home or at school overwhelm me. It means not letting the words or actions of others affect me. 
To learn more about Melinda’s word of year see her post on Linkedn.

Comments