The Meaning of My Goodreads Stars & Why I Stopped Writing Book Reviews

Earlier this year I decided to stop writing and posting book reviews on social media. Being a school librarian, I know that many people, students, teachers & friends value my opinions about books. I do not take that responsibility lightly. 

Students have confessed to me that they saw my review and do not want to read a certain book. I do not want ever want someone to NOT read a book based on a review I have written. Everyone has their own individual tastes, and those tastes can vary, depending on a vast number of factors including a reader's age and individual life events. 

My role is to inspire a love of reading. I strive to focus on each reader and their unique preferences at the moment they seek my personalized recommendation. It is one of my greatest joys to connect readers to stories of interest or books to expand their horizons.  

But what about those Goodreads stars?

I still post stars on Goodreads as part of the "Mark as Read" process. Rarely to I mark a book under 3 stars. If you follow me on Goodreads or Twitter, here is how you should interpret the number of stars I give books:




Comments