Summer Institute in Digital Literacy - Day 6


Project Day 
Digital tools and resources can be amazing but they need to be used in a purposeful way to provide meaningful learning opportunities. That was why the Personal Digital Inquiry Plan (aka Dyad Project) was an important piece of our work of the week.   

Day 6, our final day, was project day.  We worked on our projects and prepared to share them with others. 

My Dyad partner, Bill, and I focused on using the inquiry process to teach students to find, evaluate and select digital resources.  As I mentioned in a previous post, there was a lot of paperwork through this process. I am sharing our work on this blog but please know this was a starting point for both of us that does need fine tuning We focused our work in the PLAN pages (see 1 below). We began creating a Blendspace, a tool that I have used in the past but was new to Bill. The Blendspace we created (see 2 below) features a variety of skills and information important for research.  e also planned opportunities for student reflection give us feedback by teaching students formal email writing skills (with proper greets and not text-speak spelling). We also planned to use Screencasting for student reflection, allowing them to explain their  thought process as they searched for and selected resources.  

I attended several sessions with Kristin Hokansen and I liked her style of allowing students to notice and discover on their own instead of talking at students.  I began outlining how I would do this with my students within this project.  I began outlining and sketching out ideas in this Intro to Research Eng 9 Google Doc (see 3 below). I am very interested in teaching life skills and the "whole child" so I would like students to be able to identify how what they are learning will help them with what I call the 3 secrets to success in life:
1.Organized
2. Effort
3. Kind 

Both Tier 1 and Tier 2 attendees shared their topics at the end of the work session.
All of our projects and resources are available for members of the Institute to access through our class Wiki.  (Side note: This was my first experience really utilizing Wikispaces and, like any new tool, it drove me a little crazy for the first few days but by the end of the week I was comfortable with it and saw what a powerful tool it was for sharing information).  

As I was walking around, talking to people, I thought of ways their school librarian might support them. I decided that this weekend I will be emailing my fellow teachers at school and invite them to share some of their current student projects with me and allow me to co-teach with them and help them implement digital tools in a meaningful way.

The week was a great experience and I am very lucky I was given the opportunity to attend.  
For now, I am goig to return to summer and my #30bookssummer reading challenge before EdCamp next week!



1.  Draft of our PDI Plan




2.  Blendspace Lesson Plan - I know this is too big but resizing did not work.





3.  My work-in-progress outline to use this year.

Comments